When a Portland police officer’s wife saw a homeless widow and her children living in squalor in Northeast Portland’s Sullivan’s Gulch in 1922, it set into motion an organization that continues to fulfill its mission a century later.

The Sunshine Division, which is no longer a division of the Portland Police Bureau, has been feeding hungry families in the Portland area for 100 years. But its birth is also connected to the rising popularity and use of cars.